Establishment of annual Soft Power Awards by the Hellenic Institute of Cultural Diplomacy.
The Board of Directors of the Hellenic Institute of Cultural Diplomacy (HICD) decided to establish the “Soft Power Awards” that will take place in Greece or abroad once a year.
The Institution of the Awards
The aim of establishing these awards:
- To recognize and reward the offering in a cultural, humanitarian, scientific and social level.
- To highlight the importance of soft power, as a peaceful and reconciliatory approach to interstate relations and relations between people.
- To motivate and encourage individuals, companies and organizations to integrate soft power practices into their daily agenda.
The prize of the Awards
The award is accompanied by a gold-painted statuette with the symbol of the greek goddess Nike, who in the ancient greek religion personified victory. The statuette’s dimensions are 30cm height and 15cm width and it is placed on a marble base. The statuette is crafted by the famous Greek sculptor Achilleas Vasileiou, a cash prize and an honorary diploma of the HICD.
The awards are being given strictly on the basis of the candidate’s or organization’s work, its social contribution as well as innovation, and not on the basis of other criteria or interests.
In order to preserve the prestige of the awards and the transparency of the process, the HICD recommended a Committee of three (3) Critics, who are very successful and widely recognized professionals in the field of Culture, Diplomacy and Journalism, who -by following the suggestion of the HICD- will examine the candidates and their requests, as well as decide on the final result in a binding decision.
The Committee of Critics
President of the Committee of Critics is the President of the organization “Heritage & Museums” Mrs Lila de Chaves.
The Committee of Critics makes the decisions in an independent way and doesn’t work under the supervision of the HICD or any other state, business, or party organization.
The role of the Hellenic Institute of Cultural Diplomacy as well as the participating bodies in the Institution of the “ Soft Power Leadership Awards” is limited to the proposals of the candidates to the Committee of Critics.
Τhe criteria by which the Critics evaluate the candidate’s work and decide to give the awards is to meet one of the following criteria:
- The social orientation
- The intercultural dialogue and the cooperation between states
- The peaceful conflict resolution
- The innovation of science
- Τhe mediation for the reconciliation of people
- The volunteering, benevolence and charity
- The contribution to the universal Culture
- The integration of technology in educational practice
- The digital innovation and Startup Entrepreneurship
- The environment and development
- The preservation and promotion of the cultural and natural heritage
- Preventing and combating violence against women and child protection
Submission of Nominations
In order for an application to be accepted by the Committee of Critics, a nomination proposal by the President of the HICD must be preceded, which must be accepted by the Institute’s Board of Directors. In this proposal, the reasons why this nomination is suitable for the “Soft Power Leadership Award” should be stated.
The candidates must submit their CV and all the material relevant to their work, via e-mail (email@example.com), in order to be examined by the Committee of Critics. The contest is open to all candidates, companies or organizations of the UN Member States.
The closing date for applications is October, 1 of every year, after which no application will be accepted. On November 1 of every year, the Committee of Critics will announce the name (or the names) of the candidates that will be awarded.